Five retired 'I' hurricane facts
POSTED: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 5:30am
UPDATED: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 5:34am
BATON ROUGE, La. (NBC33) — Tropical Storm Isaac formed on Tuesday afternoon in the Atlantic Basin. In reaction, we are reminded that history remember the I-hurricanes well.
Here are 5 Facts about retired I-hurricanes:
- The most costly I-hurricane in U.S. history goes to Ike which hit Louisiana/Texas in 2008
- Irene was the most recent I-hurricane to be retired
- 7 I-hurricanes have been retired out of the last 11 years
- All 9 retired, I-hurricanes have been major hurricanes. (Category 3+)
- 6 out of the 9 retired, I-hurricanes have been female; 3 of 9 male
It is important to remember that I-hurricanes aren't alone in the history books as most damaging. Letters A through W have retired names also. ie. Andrew and Wilma.