Twenty-five on SEC winter academic honor roll
POSTED: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 6:00pm
UPDATED: Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 6:04pm
Baton Rouge, La — LSU placed 25 student-athletes on the 2011-12 SEC Winter Honor Roll, as released by the league office on Wednesday.
The swimming and diving program headlined the list with 16 selections, highlighted by senior diver Matt Vieke and senior swimmers Samantha Goates and Martin Jungfleish. All three student-athletes represented the Tigers to the fullest in the pool and in the classroom as they each earned SEC Academic Honor Roll selections for all four years of competition.
Vieke, a finalist for the SEC's renowned H. Boyd McWhorter Postgraduate Scholarship, ends his LSU career as a three-time SEC qualifier and NCAA Zone Diving qualifier. Goates, a four-time NCAA Honorable Mention All-American, holds LSU's record in the 200 freestyle relay. Both student-athletes were instrumental in guiding the men's and women's teams to top-five finishes at the SEC Championships for the second consecutive season.
Seven members of the gymnastics program received spots on the prestigious list as well. The team posted the third-best score in school history at the NCAA Championships with a 196.550 to finish in sixth place. Senior Ashley Lee headlined the group and was one of four gymnasts to pick up All-America honors at the NCAA Gymnastics Semifinals.
LaSondra Barrett from the women's basketball team was named to the list as well. The 10th overall selection by the Washington Mystics in the WNBA Draft and 2012 All-SEC First Team member guided the Lady Tigers to a NCAA Tournament Second Round berth. The senior was also named the LSWA Louisiana Player of the Year and a WBCA Coaches' All-America Honorable Mention.
Eddie Ludwig from the men's basketball program played a pivotal role off the bench in helping the Tigers improve their conference win total by four games from the previous season. The Metairie native garnered All-SEC Academic honors for the second consecutive campaign.
The 2011-12 Winter SEC Academic Honor Roll is based on grades from the 2011 Spring, Summer and Fall terms.
Any student-athlete who participates in a Southeastern Conference championship sport or a student-athlete who participates in a sport listed on his/her institution's NCAA Sports Sponsorship Form is eligible for nomination to the Academic Honor Roll. The following criteria should be followed:
(1) A student-athlete must have a grade point average of 3.00 or above for either the preceding academic year (two semesters or three quarters) or have a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or above at the nominating institution.
(2) If a student-athlete attends summer school, his/her grade point average during the summer academic term must be included in the calculation used to determine eligibility for the Academic Honor Roll.
(3) Student-athletes eligible for the Honor Roll include those receiving an athletics scholarship, recipients of an athletics award (i.e., letter winner), and non-scholarship student-athletes who have been on a varsity team for two seasons.
(4) Prior to being nominated, a student-athlete must have successfully completed 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of non-remedial academic credit toward a baccalaureate degree at the nominating institution.
(5) The student-athlete must have been a member of a varsity team for the sport's entire NCAA Championship segment.
2011-12 Winter SEC Academic Honor Roll
Eddie Ludwig, Men's Basketball, Management
LaSondra Barrett, Women's Basketball, Sport Commerce
Kaleigh Dickson, Gymnastics, Mass Communication
Casey Duvall, Gymnastics, Biological Sciences
Lainie Fleming, Gymnastics, Biological Sciences
Mckenzie Fox, Gymnastics, Kinesiology
Janelle Garcia, Gymnastics, Communication Disorders
Ashley Lee, Gymnastics, Sport Commerce
Shelby Prunty, Gymnastics, Sport Commerce
Martin Jungfleisch, Men's Swimming & Diving, Finance
Nick Kunkel, Men's Swimming & Diving, Finance
Chris Mericas, Men's Swimming & Diving, Mechanical Engineering
Sean Roddy, Men's Swimming & Diving, Computer Science
Matt Vieke, Men's Swimming & Diving, Entrepreneurship
Laura Furr, Women's Swimming & Diving, Mass Communication
Parker Glass, Women's Swimming & Diving, Philosophy
Samantha Goates, Women's Swimming & Diving, History
Kyra Jones, Women's Swimming & Diving, Chemical Engineering
Amanda Kendall, Women's Swimming & Diving, Sport Administration
Audrey Lawson, Women's Swimming & Diving, Human Movement Science
Kaelee Mader, Women's Swimming & Diving, Chemical Engineering
Mikayda Mills, Women's Swimming & Diving, Political Science
Elle Schmidt, Women's Swimming & Diving, Political Communications
Emily Schwabe, Women's Swimming & Divin, Mass Communication
Sally Wood, Women's Swimming & Diving, Kinesiology