NSU game vs. Louisiana Tech canceled due to fire
POSTED: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 - 7:30pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 - 7:34pm
NATCHITOCHES, LA — Northwestern State's baseball game against Louisiana Tech Wednesday night has been canceled due to a transformer fire behind the right field wall at Brown-Stroud Field.
The transformer blew up around 3:30 p.m., three hours before the scheduled first pitch, as several Demon baseball players were taking batting practice in the cages just several feet from the explosion.
Preliminary indication has the fire being started by an electrical malfunction, and in turn, ignited the oils in the transformer into an eight-foot wall of flames.
The Natchitoches Fire Department was quickly on hand but said the fire will have to burn itself out.
Nobody was injured and the game will not be rescheduled.
The Demons will be back in action on Friday when they open a three-game Southland Conference series at Nicholls State.