POSTED: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 8:13pm
UPDATED: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 2:04pm
Port Allen, La (NBC33) —
In preparation for extensive flooding and possible evacuations throughout Louisiana’s Atchafalaya River Basin, the American Red Cross has activated a Disaster Operations Center at 2808 Court Street in Port Allen, LA.
Current Red Cross Status in Southeast Louisiana:
• More than 130 Red Cross volunteers deployed to SELA from many states, with an additional 400 trained in the past two weeks.
• 12 semi-trailers staged at Port Allen with cots, blankets and other shelter and disaster relief supplies
• Red Cross Emergency Communications Response Vehicle (ECRV) on-site in Port Allen, dispatched from Louisville, KY
• 18 Emergency Response Vehicles (ERVs) on-site, deployed locally and from numerous states
• 22 shelter locations identified and on standby, with total capacity of more than 4,000 people
• Red Cross generator trailer on standby at Port Allen
The Port Allen DOC is in “full swing”, with virtually every Red Cross Disaster Relief specialty represented, including Sheltering, Feeding, Mental Health, Nursing, Logistics and many others.