BATON ROUGE (NBC33) — Firefighters have extinguished an apartment fire, which they believe was caused by arson.
According to the Baton Rouge Fire Department, the fire started in the Howell Place Apartments, around 7:20 a.m. on February 25, in the 4100 block of 72nd Avenue.
Officials say crews arrived on scene at 7:25 a.m., and found a couch engulfed in flames.
Firefighters had extinguished the fire within 10 minutes, but suffered heavy smoke and the heat caused $60,000 in damages to the apartment unit.
Investigators say they have determined the fire to be a case of arson.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department did not give further details but said the incident is still under investigation.