POSTED: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 8:48am
UPDATED: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 9:24am
GONZALES,LA (NBC33) — Today, Ascension Parish President Tommy Martinez announced that Entergy will be conducting preventative repairs to electric lines in the parish.
Entergy crews are scheduled to start the work around 8:30 a.m. and will last about 45 minutes. The work will take place at the LA 621/LA 44 intersection area to Black Bayou Road.
Officials said customers can expect a temporary outage while crews work on the power lines. Customers are asked not to call and report this outage.
Martinez also urged residents to be safe during the Ice Storm and provided a checklist of safety tips from the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention:
• Turning on the stove for heat is not safe; have at least of the following heat sources in case the power goes out.
-Extra blankets, sleeping bags and winter coats
-Fireplace with plenty of dry firewood or a gas log fireplace
-Portable space heaters or kerosene heaters
• Use electric heaters with automatic shut-off switches and non-glowing elements
• Never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water
• Keep heat sources at least 3 feet away from furniture and drapes
• Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage or near the air intake of your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
• Do not use the generator or appliances if they are wet
• Do not store gasoline indoors where the fumes could ignite
• Use individual heavy-duty, outdoor-rated cords to plug in other appliances
Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office also reminds residents to call 911 for emergencies only. Residents can report icing or unsafe travel conditions, by calling the Ascension EOC at (225) 621-8360.