BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — A Monday night fire turned into a true display of community as apartment residents rescued their neighbor from a burning unit.
When firefighters arrived at the apartment complex in the 5000 block of Hollywood Street, the residents had already evacuated the building. Responders found the entire kitchen of one of the units engulfed in flames.
The fire spread to the attic above the kitchen before firefighters brought it under control. The rest of the unit received smoke and water damage.
The two adjoining apartments were not damaged by the fire, but those families were displaced due to the lack of electricity in the units. The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist them.
The resident of the burnt unit was transported to a local hospital by EMS, and the resident’s condition is currently unknown.
The estimated damage totals $125K
We will update this story when more information is made available.