POSTED: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 4:00pm
UPDATED: Friday, November 1, 2013 - 12:45pm
PORT ALLEN, LA (NBC33) — Families are looking for new homes after a late night apartment fire displaced nearly 15 people in Port Allen. It all started around 11pm Wednesday.
Cries, screams and fire engines are sounds no one wants to hear in the middle of the night.
“I was sleeping someone was banging on the door,”
Those are sounds Tiara Veal didn't think it was even real and at first I thought it was a joke but I heard someone screaming."
She ran out of her apartment complex with her two kids to find chaos.
“It was scary because I have never experienced anything like that on my own,” noted Veal.
Even neighbors like Denise Casso said it was out of control.
“The fire went out and then all of a sudden it started back up again."
Something she didn't expect to see when she came home from work.
“There were a lot of people out here freaking out saying, I hope everyone got out I hope no one got hurt. It was pretty scary.”
A fire that displaced 10 families and at least 15 residents all started from what Veal said was just a little grease left on the stove.
And hours after the sun rose, what was left was only rubble and debris. Residents just waited all morning to get back in and see what was salvageable.
"Everyone was able to get out through their primary door so we were thankful there were no injuries on scene tonight,” said Port Allen Firefighter, Charles Stevens.
As for their next move they will have to use help provided.
“Some of us have a place to go some of us don't,” noted Veal.
“Right now were doing some case work and helping the families we are offering them basic necessities food clothing and shelter,” said a Red Cross representative.
They will hopefully start on their road to rebuild what was lost.
We know the cause was in the kitchen but fire officials continue to investigate. The Red Cross was on scene and is assisting those families in need with shelter, food and clothing.