POSTED: Thursday, October 3, 2013 - 7:30pm
UPDATED: Thursday, October 3, 2013 - 7:34pm
BATON ROUGE, LA — As Tropical Storm Karen moves north across the Gulf of Mexico, the American Red Cross encourages people to download the new Hurricane App to get instant access to hurricane safety steps and weather alerts for areas in the path of the storm. The free app can be used on both iPhone and Android platforms.
With the approach of Tropical Storm Karen, the Red Cross is mobilizing its plans, including coordinating with volunteers and partners. The Red Cross urges individuals and families to take personal preparedness steps and download the Hurricane App to get ready for the storm now in south Louisiana, as we watch the storm’s path.
“Make sure your personal plans are in place, and if you don’t know where to start, download the app or go to redcross.org to develop those plans,” said Bobbi Zaunbrecher, chapter executive for the Louisiana Capital Area Chapter. “Have your disaster kits refreshed and stocked, including fresh batteries and enough water for each person for at least five days.”
Be prepared to care for those people and pets who can’t take care of themselves. Simple steps for creating such emergency plans can be found on the Hurricane App.
“The Red Cross Hurricane app gives local and real time information for coastal residents and those who might be travelling over the next few days to areas affected by Isaac,” Zaunbrecher said. “Remote weather alerts can also help give peace of mind to those who have relatives and friends in these coastal areas.”
Once people download the Hurricane App, they have instant access to critical action steps instructing what to do before, during and after hurricanes even without mobile connectivity. Users can monitor personalized weather alerts in locations where family and friends reside and share information with others in their social networks who might also need it.
Features of the app include:
• Locations of open Red Cross shelters;
• Simple steps and checklists people can use to create a family emergency plan;
• One touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to reassure family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm’s way;
• Location-based NOAA weather alerts that users can share on social networks;
• Remote monitoring of personalized weather alerts where family and friends reside;
• Preloaded content that gives instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity;
• Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm; and
• Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
The Hurricane App can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for Android by searching for American Red Cross. National Red Cross experts in health, safety and preparedness have thoroughly reviewed and field tested the information and advice provided in this app.