POSTED: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 5:48pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 6:07pm
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — An early morning fire destroyed a family's home , but they survived. Now, the Baton Rouge mother tells us even though her house is gone, she is just happy her kids are safe.
Sheron Mitchell said her first thought when she smelled the smoke was to get her five daughters out. They are all safe, but their entire house is destroyed.
"By the time they made it, the whole house entire side of my house was on already on fire, and we lost pretty much everything," Mitchell said.
Mitchell said her daughters did not understand what was going on at the time, but now they know, everything they have is gone.
"They just was in shock," Mitchell said. "They went to bed safe, then they wake up to a fire... they were shocked."
Mitchell said despite the grief of her losing her house, she feels grateful for the help of her neighbors and the Red Cross.
"You know, it hurt. My neighbors they came out and they helped. I ran out, you know, I didn't have any pants or anything. One of my neighbors, she gave me a pair of pants another neighbor gave me a pair of slippers," Mitchell said.
"Red Cross did come out, and they gave us a card with some cash on it, for us to buy food and clothes."
Her family's working to get everything back together, but Mitchell said she's just trying to stay positive.
"My kids are tired. We've been up," Mitchell said. "I just want to go and relax, and I'm trying not to worry about anything and put everything in God's hands."
Mitchell told us her landlord found her another house to rent, and said she's taking everything day-by-day.