POSTED: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:00pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 2:04pm
Lafayette, La — A chemical spill in Lafayette forced employees to evacuate their workplace.
At 9:11 a.m. this morning, the Lafayette Fire Department and its hazmat crews responded to a hazardous spill at AMCOL-Health and Beauty Solutions.
When firefighters arrived, the employees of the building were evacuated. Emergency crews were informed of a small spill inside the facility.
A Lafayette hazmat team entered the building to assess the situation.
The spill as caused by a small fire in a machine utilized to mix benzoyl peroxide and other ingredients. An employee was testing the temperature of the solution and the instrument used to do so created a spark.
Fortunately, it was a minor incident.
The company has a safety mechanism in place which shut the system down, preventing a major spill.
The solution will be cleaned up by the company. No injuries reported.