POSTED: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 9:30am
UPDATED: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 4:00pm
BATON ROUGE, LA — The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) is pleased to announce the winners of the 2013 Louisiana Aviation Art Contest, sponsored by the DOTD Aviation Section. The theme for this year’s contest was “My Favorite Air Sport.”
Students, ages 6-17, were encouraged to create artwork based on the use of this year’s theme in relation to the aviation world. Participants were also encouraged to visit and learn more about their local airports by visiting DOTD’s website and locating the airport nearest to where they live. The intent of the contest is to encourage young people from throughout Louisiana to become more familiar with and participate in aeronautics, engineering, and science. The art contest supplies a way for young adults to become familiar with aviation and the unlimited career opportunities offered in the industry.
The winners of this year’s art contest are as follows:
- 1st Place - Mia Robichaux of St. John Primary School, Prairieville,
- 2nd Place - Astrid Interiano of Chateau Estates School, Kenner
- 3rd Place - Joel Charles of New Orleans Adventist Academy, New Orleans
- 1st Place - Natalie Heflin of St. Theresa Middle School, Gonzales
- 2nd Place - Isabel Bacas of St. John Primary School, Prairieville
- 3rd Place - Mackenzie Stewart of St. Joseph School, Ponchatoula
- 1st Place - Reed Brantly of Claiborne Academy, Haynesville
- 2nd Place - Jillian Huber of St. Benilde School, Metairie
- 3rd Place - Makayla Vining of Patterson Junior High School, Patterson
- 1st Place - Reggie Bajoie of Good Shepherd School, New Orleans
- 2nd Place - Johnny Williams of Good Shepherd School, New Orleans
- 3rd Place - Hayden Pinho of Patterson Junior High School, Patterson
- 1st Place - Lexie Vass of St. Theresa Middle School, Gonzales
- 2nd Place - Emily Loisel of Mt. Carmel Academy, New Orleans
- 3rd Place - Bailey Lavergne of Church Point High School, Church Point
- 1st Place - Hannah Lemke of Tensas Academy, St. Joseph
- 2nd Place - Jessica Taylor of Church Point High School, Church Point
- 3rd Place - Lauren Lambert of Denham Springs High School, Denham Springs
Each year, completed artwork must be submitted to the DOTD Aviation Section to be judged for its creative use of the year’s theme in relation to Louisiana aviation events. Local and state aviation officials then select three winners per age category, resulting in a total of eighteen winners. Winners receive aviation-related prizes donated by the following aviation associations.
1. Louisiana Airport Managers and Associates (LAMA) has donated prizes such as iPods, model airplanes, and remote control airplanes.
2. Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) has donated prizes such as free website training sessions, hats, and books.
3. Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) has donated introductory flights for children ages 7-18 through a national program called the Young Eagles Program. The introductory flights are awarded to first place winners in each category. Through the contest, DOTD facilitates communication between the winners and the local pilots of each EAA chapter closest to where the winner lives.