POSTED: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 5:15pm
UPDATED: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 7:51pm
Baton Rouge, La (NBC33) — The East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner is trying to raise awareness of a type of accidental suffocation.
Positional asphyxia happens to both children and adults when the way they're laying down causes them to not get enough oxygen.
Just last week, eight-month-old twins in Baker died from it.
EBR coroner Dr. Beau Clark, said they turned over on thick blankets and suffocated. Clark said it's critical to keep many things we think should be in baby cribs out of them.
“Large pillows, stuffed animals, blankets, heavy bedding, unfirmed mattresses, even sleeping with another person can cause this,” stated Clark.
Clark also advised to always lay babies on their back.