POSTED: Thursday, March 7, 2013 - 6:00am
UPDATED: Thursday, March 7, 2013 - 6:04am
United States — As Americans are making their travel plans for 2013, many factors will affect vacationers, ranging from decision-making components to what deals motivate travelers.
TripAdvisor surveyed more than 35,000 travelers to see how Americans would vacation in 2013.
Below are several highlights of the survey:
• 56 percent of U.S. hotels and accommodations plan to increase room rates in the next 3 months
• 42 percent of U.S. travelers plan to increase travel spending in 2013
• 21 percent of U.S. travelers are planning a beach vacation, 17 percent plan to have cultural experience, and 15 percent are taking an adventure trip.
• For a long trip, 80 percent of travelers begin planning 2 months or more in advance. For a short excursion, 77 percent plan their trip within a month of departure.
• Globally, travelers look at an average of 7 properties before booking. The majority of Americans consider between 1 and 5 options.
The top 3 decision making factors for travelers:
1. Price (76 percent)
2. Location (68 percent)
3. Online reviews (44 percent)
What deals will motivate U.S. travelers in 2013:
1. Room discounts (79 percent)
2. A free night stay with booking (51 percent)
3. Free Wi-Fi (45 percent)