POSTED: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 10:28am
UPDATED: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 12:03pm
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — A space heater is believed to be the spark of a fire that killed two family pets and caused roughly $80,000 worth of damage to a Baton Rouge home.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department reports that the blaze broke out at roughly 6:00 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 28. When firefighters arrived to the residence on Erie Street, the structure was engulfed in flames. Officials say the heat was so intense it melted the front end of a car that was parked near the home.
The residents of the home were able to escape unharmed. However, two family dogs did not make it out and perished in the flames.
Investigators believe the fire started from a space heater that was placed too closely to combustibles.
Space heaters should be kept at least 3 feet away from anything that will burn. Click here  for more fire safety tips.