POSTED: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 5:45pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 5:49pm
Baton Rouge, La (NBC33) — Voucher applications are open for parents to sign their kids up, but private schools accepting vouchers say they're seeing a lull in applicants for the program.
Josh Lesage with Hosanna Christian says they're hoping to have 400 spots open this year, but they may only have 400 applicants. Last year the school took close to 900 applications for the 287 spots available.
Lesage says he's worried pending lawsuits are discouraging parents.
"Our applications are down this year,” stated Lesage. “Unfortunately, I think part of it has to do with the lawsuit for the funding mechanism. I think some parents are just concerned - they don't want to have their hearts broken.”
Parents have until March 15 to apply for the program; they can apply online or at several schools across the area.
Meanwhile, the future of the voucher program still hangs in the balance. A Baton Rouge judge said last year that the program was illegal; he stated that public funds couldn't go to private schools.
Next month, both sides on the issue will go before a higher court judge. The state is hoping to overturn the decision made by the Baton Rouge area judge.