POSTED: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 12:30pm
UPDATED: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 7:05pm
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — An apartment had to be gutted after the occupant fell asleep while cooking.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department was dispatched to the Warren House apartment complex located on Airline Highway shortly before 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 21.
Investigators believe the blaze started after the occupant fell asleep while cooking and left a pot unattended on the stove. The man woke up to the smell of smoke and then noticed the pot on fire. Although he attempted to extinguish it, the fire grew larger and he was forced to call for help.
The fire destroyed his apartment and caused damage to the walkway outside. The two adjacent apartments and the one directly above it sustained smoke and heat damage.
Officials say roughly $50,000 of damage was caused by the blaze.