POSTED: Thursday, February 7, 2013 - 11:00am
UPDATED: Thursday, February 7, 2013 - 12:24pm
Baton Rouge, La — The LSU Department of Accounting has announced that it is sponsoring a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, or VITA, site, along with the Internal Revenue Service, to provide help to those who qualify this tax season. The tax service is open to anyone, not just those affiliated with LSU.
Letti Lowe-Ardoin, an instructor in the accounting department, teaches an income tax class at LSU that is a service-learning class as well.
“Tax preparation services for those making $51,000 or less are free,” Lowe-Ardoin said. “Returns will be filed electronically.”
Two VITA locations will be set-up on LSU’s campus. One will be in the LSU Facility Services Cafeteria on CEBA Lane.
Hours of operation until April 15 are as follows:
- Tuesdays, 2:00 - 6:00 p.m. (Exceptions: Closed 2/12 and 4/2)
- Wednesdays, 4:00 - 8:00 p.m. (Exceptions: Closed 2/13 and 4/3)
- Thursdays, 4:00 -8:00 p.m. (Exception: Closed 4/4)
- Saturday, March 2, 9:00 a.m.-noon
- Saturday, April 13, 9:00 a.m.-noon
- Monday, April 15, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
An additional location will be available on Wednesdays in the Caddo Room, room 305, of the LSU Student Union. The dates for this location are the same as above, but the hours will be 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. This location will be for people to prepare their own tax return, using tax preparation software. This service is offered for free for single or married taxpayers with an income less than $57,000, and is available for a small fee for higher income individuals.
Below is a list of items that are needed when visiting the VITA site to receive tax preparation:
- Proof of identification
- Social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN, assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and your dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement for W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend from banks (forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax id number – the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer ID Number
- Homeowners Insurance Policy Declaration Page for the Citizens Assessment on the state return
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
To make an appointment, call the LSU Department of Accounting at (225) 578-6202. For more information about VITA, click here .