POSTED: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 - 6:00pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 - 6:18pm
Clinton, La (NBC33) — An early morning fire in Clinton has left one man dead.
Fire Marshal Butch Browning says the fire most likely started after a cigarette was left unattended and burning on the man's couch where he was lying.
He says a neighbor heard the man's smoke alarm around 3:00 a.m., but didn't smell anything.
That same neighbor woke up three hours later, at 6:00 a.m., smelled smoke and called the fire department, but it was too late.
None of the other units in the apartment complex had any damage.
Browning says they're now trying to figure out why the man didn't wake up when the fire started.