POSTED: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 11:30am
UPDATED: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 11:34am
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA — Ascension Parish President Tommy Martinez announced Tuesday the Ascension Parish Recycling Road Show will be held Saturday, February 2, 2013 at the Wal-Mart store in Prairieville.
A recycling vehicle will be stationed in the parking lot from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
The types of material being accepted include:
• Newspapers and magazines, including catalogs, phone books and paperback books, mail, colored paper and envelopes. Photos and carbon paper are not accepted.
• Milk and juice cartons, but no wax-coated frozen food packaging or take-out food containers.
• Cardboard, including detergent and cereal boxes, 12-pack drink cartons and flattened boxes.
• Aluminum, tin or bimetal cans and metal lids, but no aerosol cans or wire hangers.
• No. 1 through No. 7 plastic containers, but no bags, hangers, caps, lids, six-pack rings or chemical containers.
Parish resident Ann Shaneyfelt, a Recycling Road Show volunteer for several years and communications coordinator with the Greater Baton Rouge Clean Cities Coalition, said interest in recycling continues to grow throughout Ascension Parish.
“We want to raise awareness about recycling and get more people participating in the program,” Shaneyfelt said. “The hope one day is to have curbside recycling at the home which makes it more accessible. Studies prove that the easier you make it available, the more people will recycle.”
Shaneyfelt said volunteer ranks for the program have continued to increase in the past three years.
“We have a good group of regulars that turn out all the time and lately we’ve been seeing a lot of fresh faces,” Shaneyfelt said. “It’s been great watching the program grow.”
Shaneyfelt said those interested in volunteering with the recycling effort and other related environmental events may email her at email@example.com .