POSTED: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 6:20pm
UPDATED: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 6:22pm
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — "He said, 'your pawpaw's house is burning down!' and I just saw flames coming from the roof,” Heather Decoteau recounted.
It was a rude awakening Friday morning for Decoteau as her husband shook her awake, telling her, her grandfather's house was burning to the ground.
"Fire was totally engulfed all through the house. Every eve that the house had, had fire showing through," explained Derek LeBlanc, St. Amant’s assistant fire chief
Decouteau's husband tried to save her grandpa, but was pushed back by the fire.
"He (my husband) tried to break in to the bedroom window to get him out the house, but he couldn't even see. Because of all the smoke," Decoteau explained.
For a few terrifying moments Heather had no idea where her grandfather was.
Thankfully, she said, he made it out alive.
"He had to feel his way out of the house because the smoke was so thick," Decoteau said.
Leblanc explained that the fire took over two hours to handle, and investigators are pretty sure it all started with a forgotten pan of sweet potatoes.
"My opinion is that the grease started the fire and he was awakened by the oxygen bottles going off and he was able to get out safely," LeBlanc explained.
The 84 year old was taken to the hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation, but should be released Saturday.