POSTED: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 9:00pm
UPDATED: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 9:04pm
NBC NATIONAL NEWS — The Colorado theater that was the site of July's "Dark Knight Rises" mass shooting will reopen tonight.
A remembrance ceremony will be held at the theater that's been renamed the Century Aurora.
Afterwards, a movie will be shown at the former crime scene.
A somber mood and mixed emotions surround the reopening.
Family members of victims had the opportunity to tour the theater earlier this week.
Some are staying away, calling tonight's events "disgusting", while others say it's one more step toward healing.
The city of Aurora distributed nearly 2000 movie tickets to victims, first responders, hospital employees and volunteers.
Theater 9, once the scene of horrific carnage, is now a digital theater with a wall to wall and ceiling to floor screen.
Despite the redesign, some say this will always be a haunting reminder of the crimes committed inside.
"None of us are interested in ever setting foot in that theater, that killing field, ever again," says Sandy Phillips, mother of one of the victims.
"We would prefer for it to be torn down," adds Eriz Scott, another victim's mother.
Tom Sullivan, whose son Alex was killed in the massacre, favors the reopening and wants to be here.
"We decided we're going to celebrate Alex's life. That's what we're going to do. We will be at places Alex would have been," he says.
Shooting survivor Harell Brooks agrees.
"I don't want it to be something holding me back from moving on," he says..
Suspect James Holmes, bound over for trial after a hearing last week, is scheduled to enter a plea in March.