NATIONAL NEWS (NBC) — The Food and Drug Administration is investigating reports of deaths associated with Monster Energy drinks.
The mother of a 14-year-old girl from Maryland has filed a lawsuit against Monster Beverages. She says her daughter died of a cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity last year. She had consumed two 24-ounce cans of Monster Energy before slipping into a coma and dying.
Each can contains 240 milligrams of caffeine. The Monster company denies that drinking two cans of its energy drinks can cause death from caffeine toxicity, and will vigorously defend its products.
The FDA says it's looking closely at the deaths of at least 5 people who apparently consumed Monster Energy drinks before they died.