POSTED: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 9:04am
UPDATED: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 9:25am
BATON ROUGE,LA (NBC33) — People living in East Baton Rouge Parish who were effected by Hurricane Isaac can get a little help covering groceries starting Monday.
The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services will open six locations across the area for people to finalize their Disaster Supplemental Assistance Program or DSNAP benefits.
3 thousand state workers will spend five days working to register people. Each day crews will only assist groups people based on the first letter of people's last name. Monday if people whose last name begins with the letter A through C can apply.
"You have to pay attention to your alphabet day," said Suzy Sonnier,Secretary of the La. Department of Children and Family Services. "If you can't come that day you can send someone who can actually be your authorized representative for you on that day. They need a drivers license a copy of your license, as well as, a letter giving them authority to be your representative. "
Sonnier said so far the DCFS services has distributed DSNAP benefits to 227 thousand households statewide. They expect to give out around 50 thousand households benefits in East Baton Rouge.
East Baton Rouge residents are asked to visit the site that is located closest to their residence in order to help process applications as quick as possible. Sites will be open Monday, September 24 through Friday, September 28 from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
The six locations are as follows:
- Southern University F.G. Clark Activity Center, Harding Blvd., Baton Rouge
- Former Sam's Club, 7685 Airline Hwy, Baton Rouge
- Mount Pilgrim Baptist Church, 9700 Scenic Hwy, Baton Rouge
- Healing Place Church, 19202 Highland Road, Baton Rouge
- Former Walmart, 14740 Plank Rd., Baker
- Lamar Dixon Expo Center, 9030 S. Landry Rd., Gonzales
Each site will serve applicants on a staggered alphabetic schedule for a five-day period. Applicants should go to the DSNAP site closest to their residence only on the one day designated for the first letter of their last name.
- Monday, September 24 - A through C
- Tuesday, September 25 - D through G
- Wednesday, September 26 - H through L
- Thursday, September 27 - M through R
- Friday, September 28 - S through Z
To find out if you qualify for DSNAP benefits, and to pre-apply click here , Or call 211.