POSTED: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 5:15pm
UPDATED: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 5:19pm
Louisiana (NBC33) — For all the past talk of FEMA making it difficult to get reimbursements to those in need, the agency appears to be coming through this time around.
FEMA has now obligated more than $7.6 million to state agencies and a levee district to help reimburse money they spent for the emergency protective measures taken to help meet critical emergency needs during Hurricane Isaac.
The funds will go to the Louisiana National Guard, the state’s Department of Transportation and Development, the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness and the Lafitte Area Independent Levee District in Jefferson Parish.
The assistance will help pay for emergency items, like sandbags, water and pre-packed meals.
FEMA's public assistance program reimburses the state 75 percent of the cost for eligible work, while the state covers the remaining 25 percent.