POSTED: Monday, September 3, 2012 - 1:45pm
UPDATED: Monday, September 3, 2012 - 5:10pm
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — A child playing with a lighter is believed to have sparked a fire that caused $6,000 worth of damage.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department reports that the incident occurred shortly before noon on Monday, Sept. 3 at an apartment located on Cedarcrest. When firefighters arrived on scene they found the blaze in the upstairs bedroom.
We’re told they quickly extinguished the fire.
Investigators say a child was playing with a lighter and accidentally started the fire. A Baton Rouge Fire Department Fire Prevention Officer was called to the scene to council the child. We’re told the juvenile will be entered into a fire education program.
No one was hurt.
Click here to view a video with tips on how to talk to your children about fire safety.