POSTED: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 2:50pm
UPDATED: Saturday, September 1, 2012 - 10:33am
CENTRAL, LA (NBC33) — A generator is to blame for an early morning house fire in Central. The estimated damage is $250,000.
The Central Fire Department was called to the home on Fairchild shortly after 2:00 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 31. When they arrived the home was completely engulfed in flames.
Investigators say the fire started from a portable generator that was positioned too closely to the home. The heat from the generator set the vinyl siding on the outside wall of the home.
When firefighters arrived, the closest hydrant was about 3000’ away. They had to use a water tanker, which had to navigate down a narrow road. It took a little under an hour to get the blaze under control.
Fortunately, no occupants of the home were injured. However, one firefighter had to be treated on scene by EMS for heat exhaustion. We’re told he’s recovered.