POSTED: Thursday, July 5, 2012 - 8:00pm
UPDATED: Thursday, July 5, 2012 - 8:04pm
Lansing, KS (KSHB) — A volunteer at a community fireworks display in Kansas died Wednesday night while cleaning up after the show.
The Lansing Police Department said that Andy Jones, 44, was among volunteers disposing of unused fireworks from the Kenneth W. Bernard Community Park show when one exploded.
Jones had a wife and two daughters, ages 15 and 22. According to a friend, he was at one time a registered pyrotechnician and had been involved with fireworks display in years prior.
The incident appears to be accidental in nature, and city officials said he died instantly.
The park had already been cleared of area residents watching the fireworks, police said.
There were no other reports of injuries.