POSTED: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:00pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:04pm
A Louisiana Tech fraternity is promising to rebuild its house after a blaze swept through the building Saturday afternoon, destroying it. It happened just hours after Tech's graduation ceremony, when several students began burning paper in the fireplace at the Pi Kappa Alpha house on campus. Firefighters say the blaze swept out of control, possibly because of some structural complications with the chimney.
It took Ruston fire crews more than three hours to put out the fire, according to Eric Brazzel with the Ruston Fire Department. "The location of the fier was hard to find due to that it was in the crawl space between the first and second floor, which made it concealed," he said.
Fraternity members and alumni are planning to rebuild the house in its current location within 12 to 18 months, said Drake Mills, a Pi Kappa Alpha alum whose son currently serves as the chapter's treasurer.
"This is the oldest fraternity on campus and there's just a lot of history so we're going to rebuild and try to get back," he said.
Six Pike members were living in the house at the time of the fire. All of them escaped unharmed.