POSTED: Friday, May 4, 2012 - 10:30am
UPDATED: Friday, May 4, 2012 - 10:34am
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — An electrical malfunction in a stove caused an apartment to catch fire in the late evening. However, it was the heroic actions of a neighbor that prevented the flames from spreading, causing more damage.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to the call shortly before 10:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 3. When they arrived to the Kings Court Apartments on Dougherty Road, the unit had been nearly extinguished.
Officials tell us that a neighbor helped prevent the fire from spreading with quick action. The neighbor used a fire extinguisher to prevent the flames from spreading out of the kitchen area.
Firefighters confirmed that an electrical malfunction was the cause and then shut the electrical breakers off to that portion of the kitchen.
The neighbor who fought the fire had to break through a window to gain access to the home. That person received cuts to his leg while climbing through the window. He was treated and released on scene by EMS.
Although this individual performed a heroic act, firefighters say you should always avoid going into a home that is on fire. The best course of action when you see a fire is to call 911.