POSTED: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 4:54pm
UPDATED: Thursday, June 3, 2010 - 11:59pm
Louisiana educators say it's time for a change, and the national Race to the Top contest could give school districts the boost they need to make those changes.
More than 300 million dollars are up for grabs from the dederal government for states that show education innovation. So far, 59 Louisiana school districts are on board.
But not everyone agrees with the state's participation in the contest. A spokesperson for the Louisiana School Board's Association saysit's just too risky. Their biggest concern...what will happen when the money runs out? But state superintendent Paul Pastorek says districts need to plan ahead. He says the money is meant to be used for things that can be sustained.
State applications are due in January. The results of the contest will be announced in April.