POSTED: Monday, December 26, 2011 - 12:03pm
UPDATED: Monday, December 26, 2011 - 12:58pm
PONCHATOULA, LA — State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning released information today in reference to a morning home fire that has claimed the life of a Man; his wife escaped the flames.
The Ponchatoula Volunteer Fire Department received a call at 6:53 a.m. that a mobile home was on fire at 700 West McClellan Street lot 27. When firefighters arrived they discovered that the entire structure was on fire.
Firefighters quickly entered the building and extinguished the fire. They located the body of Herbert Harris, 65. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Mr. Harris’s wife was awoken by heavy smoke; she barely escaped injury. Harris was disabled and had limited mobility. There were no working smoke alarms in the home.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office is conducting the investigation into this tragic loss. Fire marshal deputies believe the fire origin was in the bathroom at the area of a space heater. The cause of this fire has been determined to be electrical in nature.
Fire Marshal Browning stated, “It was such a sad scene both Mayor Bob Zibbia and Chief of Police Bry Layrisson were on site to ensure that we had full resources to get the family all the answers. If you use space heaters keep a 3 foot area clear of things that will burn and you must have working smoke alarms in your home”.