BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — More people are lighting up the fireplace as the temperature drops, but before you strike the match, make sure your fire ready.
Getting your fireplace professionally cleaned and inspected is the best way to avoid danger.
The residue left on your flue could potentially ignite a blaze. The St. George Fire Department says the most dangerous time is after the fire is out.
Improper disposal of ash and embers is the number one reason they get called out to a home with a fire place.
"Never take those embers straight from the fireplace and into your trash can,” Eldon Ledoux, St. George Fire Department, explained. “When that happens the can itself can become fuel."
Instead, you should place ash and embers in a metal container and soak them with water.
Then, let them sit there for at least a couple of days before throwing them in the trash.
But the most important tip to remember is that having a plan for your family before a fire happens is what will prevent anyone from becoming seriously injured.
Click here  to learn about how to establish an escape plan for your family, and ways to talk to young children about fire safety.