POSTED: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 11:49am
UPDATED: Sunday, January 8, 2012 - 3:52pm
NBC NATIONAL NEWS — Doctors and firefighters issued a warning Monday in hopes of preventing Thanksgiving dinners from turning deadly.
Officials said most house fires are caused by cooking during the holiday season.
They warned that explosions and fires can be easily started when oil in a turkey fryer overflows.
Doctors at Florida's Viera Hospital said injuries from turkey fryers are common.
They prepared a demonstration with peanut oil heated to 400 degrees in one fryer and 450 degrees in
another to show the damage that can occur.
Authorities said the most important things to remember when using a deep fryer for turkey are to account the size of the turkey and how much oil it will displace and to not use a fryer on a wooden surface.