BATON ROUGE, LA. (NBC33) — A Baton Rouge home caught fire last night, after the homeowner didn't properly dispose of heating material.
The occupant had put coals and ashes from a fireplace into a metal trash can in the rear of the home. The materials smoldered until it ignited other trash in the can. The fire then extended up the wall, into the attic and through the roof.
Fire destroyed the patio and caused moderate damage to the living room and attic. The rest of the home sustained significant smoke damages.
The homeowner escaped without harm.
Total damages to the house are estimated to be around $60,000.