One family is without a home tonight because of a house fire

Your Stories

POSTED: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 8:46pm

UPDATED: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 11:06am

A house fire early Sunday morning took everything from the Melancon family.

"I don't know what we would've done. It's unfathomable, to sit in front of a house and watch it blow up."

When Spicey Melancon woke up sunday morning she never thought she'd see her home of 17 years completely incinerated.

Melancon lived together with her 12 kids and grandkids and her elderly mother and father. Tonight, they're scattered all over Gonzales.

"My daughter called and said, Mama we're all settled in, but it's just now starting to hit," said Melancon.

Spicey said the fire started because of a faulty oxygen machine that her dad uses to breathe.

"When he turned it on, it exploded in his face, his hair was on fire, his face, all the skin was burned off of his face."

The Red Cross was able to get her father to a hospital in time.

In the ashes of the Melacon family home lies more than pictures, posessions, and pieces of family history the flames engulfed a dress they were saving for a special evening.

"My grandson's fiancee, they were supposed to get married on the 23rd of this month, everything we had, everything, even her wedding dress."

Melancon says all the support she's gotten from volunteers in the Gonzales community and from those living closest to her are keeping her spirits up.

"People came out of their homes, and gave slippers to my children, the Red Cross, they gathered us food, shelter, they bought me this nightgown."

Even though her house is gone, she says she made it out with the most important posessions.

"They were just things, they were just things, I got all my family out."

If you you like to help, The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter is overseeing the Melancon family. But they help with so many others around the state affected by fire.

To call the number is: (225) 291-4533

To mail, mail it to: American Red Cross
Louisiana Capital Area Chapter
4655 Sherwood Common
Baton Rouge, LA 70816

To go online and Donate:

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment