Fire leaves family homeless

Your Stories
Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 8:14pm

"I was in the bed asleep and my friend, he smelled some fire. He got up and tried to put it out. It wouldn't go out," says Shantelle Maze.  A fire tore through the home on the 1600 block of North 36th street around 8:30 Tuesday morning. It's a blaze that started in the back of the house, but luckily everyone got out safely.

Shantelle Maze has only lived in the home for a month and now without that home and without a job she has no idea how she's going to take care of her four children, especially with Christmas right around the corner. "Very shocking because my kids, they lost everything: Christmas gifts, their toys, their shoes, everything I bought them for Christmas. Now, the don't have nothing," says Maze.

The Red Cross arrived on the scene almost immediately. They're doing everything they can to help out. They've lost everything. The home was destroyed by fire. They have no food. They got out with the clothing on their back. So we want to make sure that we are meeting their essential needs," says Red Cross spokesperson Neil Hardin.

And while Maze appreciates everyting the Red Cross is doing, she knows she and her four kids have a long road ahead of them. "I'm going to have to start over," says Maze.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment