Still haven't filed your taxes?

Still haven't filed your taxes?
Monday, April 18, 2011 - 1:08pm

It’s tax day, and if you still have work to do before turning in the final draft, then you might want to consider filing for an extension.

The IRS expects to receive around 10 million extension requests, which is about how many they processed last year. An extension gives you an extra 6 months (until Oct. 17) to work on your return.

There is one snag in filing for an extension. If you owe money, you will have to make an expected payment along with your extension request. However, you can arrange for payment installments.

To get an extension, all you have to do is file Form 4868 with the IRS. You can get a copy of that form or file one electronically, for free on the IRS website. If you use tax preparation software such as Turbo Tax, the option should be available there, too.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment