State shuts down three oyster beds in one week
POSTED: Thursday, April 1, 2010 - 4:24pm
UPDATED: Friday, June 4, 2010 - 12:00am
The Department of Health Hospitals has closed its third oyster harvesting area in just eight days.
Oyster beds in Southern Jefferson and Lafourche parishes are now off-limits to fishermen. A ban was placed on beds in St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes earlier this week.
The DHH says says the mollusks in these areas were making people sick.
Officials say they are monitoring the situation closely but urge those who still want to eat oysters to cook the shellfish instead of consuming them raw.