Simple ways to lower your blood pressure
POSTED: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 8:00am
UPDATED: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 8:02am
NBC NATIONAL NEWS — One in three Americans will have high blood pressure sometime in their lifetime.
Most people have no symptoms but the complications can be deadly.
There's no question poor diet, lack of exercise and obesity are the biggest contributing factors to hypertension or high blood pressure.
120 over 80 is normal. Anything above 140 over 90 needs attention.
There are six simple things you can do to lower your blood pressure.
1. Reduce the amount of salt in your diet
2. Get exercise regularly
3. Cut the amount of caffeine you consume.
4. Drink 1/3 a glass of wine regularly, don't overdue it because more than that can actually raise your blood pressure.
5. Eat foods rich in omega three fatty acids like fresh salmon.
6. And reduce the stress in your life.
Doctors say consistency is the key when it comes to lifestyle changes and taking prescribed medication.