Secretary of Health & Human Services Kathleen Sebelius will testify about Healthcare.gov website

Photo from NBC NATIONAL NEWS
News
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 8:11am

There was another outage on healthcare.gov last night - the second in three days.

It's been working intermittently -- and slowly -- since the rollout October first.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius will be in a Congressional Hearing explaining what happened with the website, and how she plans to fix it.

There are eight pages of prepared testimony, but the real sparks are sure to fly when the Republicans in charge of this committee start asking her why the website's not working, whether the government knew it might crash, and whether Americans can afford these healthcare plans.

Today health and human services secretary Kathleen Sebelius will tell Congress that healthcare.gov has had 20 million hits, and 700,000 applications.

But there's no word yet on how many have been able to get past the error messages and actually buy insurance.

"We will have those numbers in mid-November," said the Administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid, Marilyn Tavenner.

Opponents remain unconvinced that the faulty website - and the insurance it sells - are a good deal: "There is no way to fix this monstrosity," said House Speaker John Boehner, Ohio.

"It's a public relations nightmare," said Rep. Vern Buchanan, Florida.

"It's not time for any sanding to take place, but the chain saw needs to come out," said Rep. Dave Reichert, Washington.

Today, President Obama heads to Massachusetts to highlight how health reform worked there.

He's under fire for promising Americans could keep their insurance. Millions of those plans are now being canceled because they don't meet minimum standards.

"Now they're being told they can't. That's a lie," said Rep. Aaron Schock, Illinois.

"He didn't say anything wrong," said Senate Majority Leader Senator Harry Reid, Nevada.

The White House is tweaking that promise. "If you wanted it and it was available, you could," said White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney.

So far, two million people have received cancellations.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment