Power companies give tips for Ice Storm
POSTED: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 4:50am
UPDATED: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 5:04am
(NBC33) — Power companies, Entergy and DEMCO say they are prepared for the Ice Storm.
In separate statements, both companies said they were stocking up on necessary supplies, and have crews on standing by to respond to possible power outages.
If you experience a power outage, Entergy and DEMCO ask that you turn off your heating system, lights and appliances during the outage, to prevent a power surge when power has been restored.
Once power has been restored, energy companies say its best to turn appliances back on, one at a time, over a period of time. They also ask that you set your thermostat to 65 degrees, and raise it over time.
Entergy and DEMCO give the following tips for power outages:
• Never go near or touch a downed power line. Live wires can be deadly.
• Always operate a generator in a well-ventilated space, because improper use of a generator can lead to serious injury or death.
• Do not use candles, they are a fire hazard. Have battery operated flashlights or lanterns available, as well as warm clothes and blankets.
• Stay off of roadways if there is sleet or ice. You have a much greater chance of being involved in an accident if ice is on the road. If you have to drive, have a warm blanket and drinking water in your vehicle in case you are stranded.
• Pets should be brought indoors. Do not put portable heaters where pets or children can knock them over or knock something onto them. They will start a fire.
• Don’t trim trees or remove debris on or near downed power lines. Only power company crews should remove trees or limbs touching power lines.
• Keep away from areas where crews are working. There is danger of moving equipment and the possibility of construction materials or limbs or overhead wires falling to the ground.
• Check on seniors, who can be particularly susceptible to extreme temperatures.
To report power outages and downed power lines
DEMCO cusotmers call 1-800-262-1160, click here , or use the free DEMCO App available on iPhone or Android
Entergy customers call 1-800-968-8243. Customers can visit Entergy's Storm Center and download the Entergy App to view outage maps and other information