Teen describes being struck by lightning while standing at kitchen stove

POSTED: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 11:00am

UPDATED: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 11:04am

A Pennsylvania teenager was struck by lightning Tuesday while inside his home in Shanksville.

He has burns on his arm and doctors want to rule out a concussion, but he survived to tell his story.

Cody Sines said he was never afraid of thunder and lightning before, but since this extraordinary experience, he plans to be more careful for the next storm.

"I don't quite want to be standing here, next to this," said Sines, point to his family's kitchen stove. "I would more-so likely like to be where there are no electronics where I could get zapped again."

Sines said he was relaxing from a long day at work when he went to the kitchen to grab dinner.

He said it started storming outside, and just before he went back for seconds, that's when the unexpected happened.

"I grabbed to hold it here, and that's when I heard a loud 'bang,'" said Sines. "I looked up, a big, blue ball of flame came out, and that's the last thing I remember."

Little did he know, lightning hit a tree in the back yard, traveled through the ground and into the home.

"I heard this loud 'crack,'" said his mother, Michelle Bittner. "It was the loudest crack I have ever heard. "

Bittner said she could see straight into the kitchen when her son was knocked unconscious.

"I just saw him flow, just 'boom,' across the room and hit the back of the sink," said Bittner. "He just slid down and started twitching."

Bittner said she called 911.

Sines said he remembers momentarily waking up and not being able to move.

He said he felt a tingling sensation all over his body.

"I feel I'm very lucky that it didn't turn out to be worse," said Sines.

He is expected to make a full recovery, but doctors are keeping an eye on him to make sure there aren't any future complications.

  

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment