Preps underway for Hurricane Irene
NBC NATIONAL NEWS — With evacuations underway because of Hurricane Irene, we thought it a good time to remind you of the things other than yourself that need to be moved to safety.
Experts say you should take your:
- Safe deposit key
- Birth, death and marriage certificates
- Will and power of attorney
- Social Security card and records
- Military records
- Medical records
- Insurance policies
- Health insurance cards
- Retirement account records
- Recent pay stubs
- Tax returns
- Car titles and registrations
- Mortgage deeds or rental agreements
- Warranties and receipts
- Credit cards
Experts say you should also back up digital documents from computers on disc or portable flash drives.
It's also a good idea to take photos or video of everything you're leaving behind.
It could help with insurance claims.
If you rent, evacuate with everything, especially if you don't have renter's insurance.