Dog owner blames treats for the death of his Pomeranian
POSTED: Sunday, April 8, 2012 - 7:00pm
UPDATED: Sunday, April 8, 2012 - 7:04pm
NBC NATIONAL NEWS — An Illinois man says his dog was in perfect health until he fed her a certain brand of dog treats, and he's calling on the Food and Drug Administration to take another look at the products.
Adkins said his 9-year-old Pomeranian, Cleo, had her first Waggin’ Train-brand chicken jerky dog treat on March 13.
She died 13 days later of kidney failure, he said.
His story isn't isolated.
The FDA said it has received hundreds reports of dogs being poisoned by treats since 2007.
A spokesperson for the Waggin' Train brand of treats maintains the snacks "are safe to feed as directed."
The back of the packaging on the treats Adkins fed Cleo lists feeding instructions indicating a dog Cleo's size should receive no more than two treats a day.
Adkins said he fed his dog two to three treats a day.
"If you feed one treat and you say, 'Well, it's not going to kill my dog, if I feed two treats it's going to kill my dog,' I wouldn't want to eat anything that potentially could kill me," said Dr. Joe DeMoor, the veterinarian who treated Cleo.
Adkins said he's been in touch with the company behind the Waggin' Train brand and has been told he would receive compensation.
He said he also will file an insurance product claim with Wal-Mart, where he bought the treats.
Still, he said his case isn't about the money.
He said the FDA is "broken" and said he wants the products pulled from shelves.