Bomb threat shuts major U.S.-Canada tunnel
POSTED: Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 10:30pm
UPDATED: Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 10:34pm
NATIONAL NEWS (CNN) — A bomb threat shut a major tunnel between Windsor, Ontario, and Detroit on Thursday, triggering traffic backups as drivers on both sides of the border were rerouted.
Employees at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel received an anonymous phone call around 12:30 p.m. from someone saying there was a bomb in the tunnel, Sgt. Matthew D'Asti with Windsor police told HLN.
Neal Belitsky, president and CEO of Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, said the threat was called in to the Canadian side.
Authorities were treating it "as a non-specific anonymous bomb threat," said D'Asti. The tunnel was evacuated.
When D'Asti spoke with HLN shortly after 2 p.m. ET, no bomb had been found.
It was unclear how long the tunnel would remain closed, but Belitsky said it may reopen by 3:30 p.m.
Authorities were working together on both sides of the border to investigate and search the tunnel, D'Asti said.
The tunnel is one of two international crossings between the cities of Windsor and Detroit. The other is a bridge.
Approximately 27,000 to 29,000 vehicles pass daily through the tunnel, which opened in 1930.