Aurora suspect faces 166 charges related to theater massacre
POSTED: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:00am
UPDATED: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:04am
NBC NATIONAL NEWS — The twenty-four year old suspect in the Aurora, Colorado theater shootings will be back in court today for his arraignment.
The judge in case says there is sufficient evidence to move forward.
Based on what prosecutors presented during his preliminary hearing earlier this week it could be a dramatic and graphic trial.
The decision to go to trail is not unexpected. The evidence was overwhelming.
The request by defense attorneys to delay the arraignment was also no surprise.
"It's not unusual for defense lawyers to want more time to prepare, after all, the prosecution got a huge head start in the case," says legal analyst Scott Robinson.
That head start happened during the preliminary hearing.
Prosecutors provided vivid images of the scene inside the theater through emotional testimony from police officers, chilling 911 calls, and theater surveillance video of movie-goers trying to escape.
The preliminary hearing ended with no evidence from defense attorneys, who decided not to call
witnesses to testify about Holmes' mental state.
His attorneys said he's mentally ill.
Holmes is being held without bond in isolation as the legal process moves forward.