A look back: Casey Anthony found not guilty of killing daughter one year ago
POSTED: Thursday, July 5, 2012 - 1:00pm
UPDATED: Thursday, July 5, 2012 - 1:04pm
NATIONAL NEWS (CNN) — One year ago Thursday, Casey Anthony entered a courtroom in a pink ruffled shirt, her hair pulled back in a ponytail. She waited to learn whether a jury had found her guilty in the death of her daughter, Caylee.
The tension was palpable. The case had gripped the entire country, and emotions were flaring outside the courthouse. Inside, Anthony was biting her nails and her lower lip and taking deep breaths at the defense table.
Then came the words that would divide many: not guilty. Her trial was one that had gripped the nation. It was a summer obsession for many, who stayed glued to the TV from the moment Caylee went missing to the moment that verdict was read.
Anthony had been found not guilty of first-degree murder in the 2008 death of her 2-year-old daughter and of aggravated child abuse and aggravated manslaughter. The woman whose face was known around the world, who had been dubbed "tot mom," had her day in court.
She wiped tears from her eyes, clutched her attorneys' hands and hugged them.
One year later, Anthony remains in hiding, fearful for her safety and her life. She says she's received numerous threats because people still believe she is guilty of the crime. But she continues to fight to convince them that she is not guilty, exactly the finding a jury decided 12 months ago. Anthony said the world may have one view of her, but she knows who she truly is.
"There's obviously several misconceptions," Anthony told CNN's Piers Morgan in June. "Obviously, I didn't kill my daughter."
Anthony told Morgan that she cherished her daughter and did not want to get rid of her, as many people had suggested during and after her trial.
"If anything there's nothing in this world I've ever been more proud of, and there's no one I loved more than my daughter," Anthony said. "She's my greatest accomplishment."