New bill hopes to give tax refunds

New bill hopes to give tax refunds
Louisiana Politics

POSTED: Friday, April 15, 2011 - 3:09pm

UPDATED: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 9:50am

The regular legislative session starts in just ten days, and if a new house bill is passed, you might get money back in the future on your state taxes.

State Representative Walker Hines (R-New Orleans) introduced House Bill 286. If passed, that bill would allow for the state to issue a tax rebate during a surplus year. Only those tax payers who would gain $100 or more would receive the refund.

"Under the current rules, the State Legislature is restricted to spending surplus dollars on six subject matters,” Hines said in a press release. “By passing this constitutional amendment, the Louisiana Legislature would have another option to give back the surplus dollars government has taken from Louisiana taxpayers by giving individuals a state rebate, similar to what is currently offered with your state income tax rebates.”

"Government surpluses almost always indicate that the scope and size of government needs to be reduced, taxes lowered, and spending cut,” he added. “This constitutional amendment simply provides another option for the Legislature to consider when presented with a large surplus."

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment