Workers spark fireball during sewer repairs

POSTED: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 4:00pm

UPDATED: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 4:25pm

A construction crew in the process of installing a sewer line along Orice Roth Rd. and S. Edwards in Gonzazles caused the explosion of a gas main this afternoon.

JES, a subcontractor of R & C Construction, was digging in preparation to lay a sewer line when the equipment operator’s shovel accidentally scraped the top of an existing gas main. A fireball shot from the gas line, according to workers for Atmos, the gas provider whose gas main was damaged.

The fireball reached the height of the power lines which hung directly above the gas line.

An Atmos crew is busy repairing the line at present.

“The first step is to pump out all the water which has gotten into the gas line,” said an Atmos crew member. “We have three pumps going right now. At that point we’ll assess the damage and reestablish service as quickly as possible,” he added.

All of S. Edwards will be without gas until Atmos can reestablish service. It was the only area affected by the explostion. One home was evacuated. No injuries have been reported. 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment